Southern New Airport Terminals Initiates this Saturday
The construction of new terminals at two major airports in Vietnam, namely HCMC’s Tan Son Nhat Airport and Dong Nai’s Long Thanh Airport, is set to commence on Saturday, marking a significant milestone in the country’s aviation infrastructure development. The combined value of these projects exceeds VND 45 trillion ($1.89 billion).
According to the Airports Corporation of Vietnam, the terminal at Long Thanh Airport will have a projected cost of VND 35 trillion. Spanning an expansive area of 150 hectares, the terminal will encompass four floors and accommodate 40 plane gates. With an anticipated completion date of 2026, this state-of-the-art terminal is expected to become the airport’s focal point. Its design draws inspiration from the lotus flower, featuring captivating elements such as artificial waterfalls and lush gardens.
In addition to the terminal, the development of Long Thanh Airport includes the construction of a 4,000-meter runway and other essential infrastructure. Once fully operational, the airport aims to have the capacity to transport 100 million passengers and handle 5 million tons of goods annually. It will ultimately replace Tan Son Nhat Airport, which is currently Vietnam’s largest airport and is located less than 50 kilometers away.
Simultaneously, preparations are underway for the T3 terminal at Tan Son Nhat Airport. The upcoming construction phase will focus on the development of a multi-story parking lot, a viaduct system, and various supporting infrastructures and services. The estimated cost for the T3 terminal is VND10.99 trillion, and the construction is projected to be completed within 20 months, targeting a second-quarter opening in 2025.
The T3 terminal is designed to have five floors, including an underground level, and will cover a total floor area of approximately 112,500 square meters. It will primarily serve domestic flights, with a capacity to handle 20 million passengers per year.
These ambitious projects signify Vietnam’s commitment to enhancing its aviation capabilities and meeting the growing demands of air travel. The construction of modern terminals at both Long Thanh Airport and Tan Son Nhat Airport will not only improve passenger experience and logistical efficiency but also contribute to the country’s economic growth and position in the global aviation industry.
Here are some additional details about the new terminals at HCMC’s Tan Son Nhat Airport and Dong Nai’s Long Thanh Airport:
- Long Thanh Airport Terminal:
- The terminal at Long Thanh Airport is a crucial component of the airport’s development plan. It is designed to be the main gateway for Ho Chi Minh City and the southern region of Vietnam.
- With a projected cost of VND35 trillion, the terminal will cover an expansive area of 150 hectares, providing ample space for future growth and expansion.
- The terminal will feature four floors and accommodate a total of 40 plane gates, ensuring efficient handling of passenger traffic and airline operations.
- Its innovative design will incorporate a lotus-themed concept, symbolizing Vietnam’s cultural heritage. The terminal will showcase artificial waterfalls and gardens, creating a serene and visually appealing environment for travelers.
- The terminal is scheduled to be completed by 2026 and will be equipped with modern amenities and facilities to provide a seamless travel experience for passengers.
- Long Thanh Airport Infrastructure:
- In addition to the terminal, Long Thanh Airport will see the construction of a 4,000-meter runway, capable of accommodating large aircraft and facilitating increased air traffic.
- Other essential infrastructure, such as taxiways, aprons, cargo terminals, and support facilities, will be built to complement the terminal and ensure smooth airport operations.
- The airport’s development plan aims to create a world-class aviation hub with a capacity to transport 100 million passengers and handle 5 million tons of goods annually.
- Long Thanh Airport will eventually replace Tan Son Nhat Airport as the primary international gateway to Vietnam’s southern region. Its strategic location, approximately 40 kilometers northeast of Ho Chi Minh City, will provide improved access and alleviate congestion at the existing airport.
- Tan Son Nhat Airport T3 Terminal:
- The T3 terminal at Tan Son Nhat Airport is an expansion project aimed at enhancing the airport’s capacity and improving passenger services.
- The terminal, with an estimated cost of VND10.99 trillion, will be constructed over a period of 20 months and is expected to open in the second quarter of 2025.
- It will feature five floors, including an underground level, and cover a total floor area of approximately 112,500 square meters.
- The T3 terminal will primarily cater to domestic flights, accommodating around 20 million passengers annually. This expansion will help alleviate congestion at the existing terminals and enhance passenger comfort and convenience.
- As part of the project, a high-rise parking lot, a viaduct system, and other supporting infrastructure and services will be developed to ensure seamless connectivity and efficient operations within the airport.
These ambitious developments signify Vietnam’s commitment to modernizing its aviation infrastructure and meeting the increasing demand for air travel. The new terminals at both Long Thanh Airport and Tan Son Nhat Airport will position Vietnam as a competitive player in the global aviation industry while providing a superior travel experience for both domestic and international passengers.
To get to Dong Nai’s Long Thanh Airport, you can consider the following transportation options:
Long Thanh Airport (Currently under construction, expected completion in 2026):
- By Future Airport Link: The Vietnamese government plans to develop an airport link, such as a high-speed rail or dedicated expressway, to connect Long Thanh Airport with Ho Chi Minh City. Details regarding the specific transportation options will be available closer to the completion date of the airport.
- By Taxi or Private Car: Once the airport is operational, taxis and ride-hailing services will likely provide transportation to and from Long Thanh Airport. Similar to Tan Son Nhat Airport, you can book a taxi or private car or use ride-hailing apps for convenient travel.
- Public Transportation: It is anticipated that public transportation options, such as buses or dedicated airport shuttles, will be established to connect Long Thanh Airport with nearby cities and regions. Information regarding specific routes and schedules will be available closer to the airport’s opening.
It’s important to note that as these airports are under development, it’s recommended to stay updated on the latest transportation options and infrastructure developments through official sources, airport announcements, and travel websites.